Monday, October 22, 2007

retirement is bliss

My immediate family is small, just me and my mom. Pretty boring.

My mom's parents are some of the most interesting people in my family. My grandma moved from New Jersey to Florida about 5 years ago. She moved into a gated community and has been enjoying retirement. She is not, however, like her old lady neighbors who she plays dominos with. My grandma's free spirit and sailor's mouth often surprise people. She is in her late 50's early 60's (no one really knows because she won't tell us). She still enjoys being active, riding her bike daily, down the road 1/2 mile to the beach. Recently though, she has taken to complaining that it's too hot in Florida. She has mentioned wanting to move back north. My grandma does whatever she wants, but at the same time manages her money well. She owns rental property in New Jersey. I suppose this is how she can afford to spoil her grandchildren. I remember the days when i was spoiled by her. I got to go to Toys R' Us and pick out whatever I wanted. Then i got older and less cute and the cash flow started decreasing. My two toddler cousins better live it up now because pretty soon they will be in the same boat.

My grandpa like my grandma owns rental property in New Jersey. He lives in Randolph, NJ with his wife. He is a semi-retired man at the age of 61. He still does handy work around his house. Whatever you do do not get roped in to helping him out. He is the Most Stubborn Man Alive. It is his way or the highway. You have no opinion when you are working with him. You just shut up and do what he tells you. He is proud of his work ethic and his old fashioned mentality(he made me drink straight vinegar as a cure for my sore throat).

I respect both of my grandparents' lifestyles, but when I retire I would much rather live the relaxed life that my grandma has.

1 comment:

Noodie Man said...

That was oh so boring. You are not creative what-so-ever. Ya wanna know what i think when i am in yo house?

I think "Is he ever coming ou of there?"